Jacob P. Gubler

Jacob P. Gubler

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

September 9, 2012

Tuesday:  We had quite a few lessons fall because lunch wasn’t ready when we showed up and if lunch is late it throws the whole day off.  Just to clear up a little confusion, we eat in the houses of members everyday for lunch but dinner is rare.  But so we had a few appointments fall but at the same time, sometimes it seems like that Heavenly Fathers way of "weeding" out the appointments that are less important because ALL of lessons were very spiritual!  We taught two different girls that were references from members and they are really progressing!  References from members really make all the difference because when we have someone that they know to teach with us and to sit with them at church it makes things work out much smoother!  We are hoping that one of them will be baptized this week because she already keeps the Word of Wisdom and chastity, she just isn’t sure if she has gotten her answer yet but we’re getting there!  Also we are teaching a family that has quite a few problems but is very interested it’s just kind of really complicated to get here to come to church.  But that is definitely the worst part of the mission not being able to see the baptism of people that you teach.

Wednesday:  We had district meeting and I got a package with a quicksilver shirt and a tie from one of my baptisms back in Inamar and some another letter from someone back there and well I really wish I would have been able to talk when I was back of there.  There were some great people that I already feel like we are mega close but I couldn’t really talk right back there. But I absolutely love here in Bertioga and will probably go away this next transfer but I decided I want to finish my mission here!  Also about the district meeting, we got to do some sweet practice lessons like you do in the CTM but again, I could actually talk this time and it was pretty cool!  But after the district meeting, it was a pretty rough day, EVERY SINGLE appointment fell.  We literally walked for three hours without stopping and well it was a pretty rough day and it’s been a while since I have been that exhausted because we usually can get in at least one house to sit down for a little bit but well that didn’t really work out too well.

Thursday:  A much better day!  First off, we ate some cow liver for lunch.  I found out that one of my favorite things to eat (carne seco or "dry meat") is donkey liver so that may have left the list of my favorite things to eat.  We taught the two girls that are progressing quite a bit again and taught the lady that ended up calling the cops on us after the whole little girl mess.  It’s funny seeing the plan of the Lord play in front of you after all the huge mess and going to police station two times, we end up teaching the family…only on the mission.  Well unfortunately she is going on vacation for a month so even though she really likes us now, we won’t be able to teach her for quite some time.  Also a funny story we were with a member, Hyrum (named after Hyrum Smith, it’s pretty funny hearing people try to say his name in Portuguese) but we were going to teach some people with him and they asked the names of everyone in the family and well mom they ate up your name.  That night we had a meeting with the leadership of the ward, I FINALLY worked out this English class mess and essentially said just let me start teaching now and you guys can work out all the stuff while I’m teaching so that will be starting this week on Thursday and Saturdays and that will help a TON to get the name of the church out there!  After that we all went to a pizzeria that was delicious .  The Brazilian restaurant that I’m going to open in the bakery is going to be HUGE especially because at lunch on Friday I learned how to make brigadeiro in the microwave and I love that stuff! With so many chocolate fans that there are in the states I don’t know how it doesn’t exist!

Friday:   It was a holiday and since Bertioga is gorgeous and has beautiful beaches it was insanely full of people!  We taught some people on the street and that was pretty interesting because there was just a car blasting music next us with people dancing around it.  We got another reference from a member and its funny how people react when I say I’m American!  Everyone is always like "oh it’s such an honor to have you in my house" my companion may have gotten ignored for a little bit and I chatted with them.

Saturday:  We had the baptismal interview in the morning so our District Leader came down from   Guaruja to our little island of Bertioga to interview him and we had to do it close to the beach because his family has a little shack on the beach and he was working but that all worked out smoothly.  Satan is a DIRT BAG, problems always arise right before baptisms...chato pra carumba! But then that night we helped out LMA (Ward Mission Leader) move and Brazilian babies love me! I hate to brag but in the hands of Elder Gubler they stop crying within minutes.

Sunday:  We had choir as usual after church and we have to perform our music number next week and one of them is solid but the other is awful.  I’m a little nervous, we are definitely in need of a miracle!  Then we had lunch at a members house, I am going to bring her to the states to open our bakery because she is pretty much the best cook I have EVER met! Then that night we had a few other lessons.  Well that wraps up the week!  I hope everything is going great back at home and you enjoy this massive email this week! Keep the emails and letters coming! 

amo todo vocês!  amo esta igreja!  amo esta missão!  até mais, 

ELDER GUBLER

No comments:

Post a Comment